Nexus One is planned for the Sprint Mobile Broadband Network with
twice the network coverage of AT&T and ten times the network coverage
of T-Mobile, both by square miles; Expands Sprint’s Android portfolio
OVERLAND PARK, Kan., – March 17, 2010 – Nexus One, the first wireless
phone sold through Google’s web store, is planned for Sprint’s 3G
Mobile Broadband Network. Sprint (NYSE:S) will announce pricing and
an exact availability date soon. Nexus One will benefit from Sprint’s
3G network with twice the coverage of AT&T and 10 times the coverage
of T-Mobile, both based on square miles.1
Sprint currently has America’s largest voice calling area of any
carrier reaching more than 307 million people in the U.S., Puerto Rico
and U.S. Virgin Islands with a Sprint phone and plan that includes
roaming. PC World recently said no one has a more reliable network
than Sprint in a 13 city 3G performance test.2 Customers can check the
quality of network coverage with street level mapping at
“Nexus One is a powerful device that belongs on a powerful network.
This is another step in our continued partnership of innovation with
Google,” said Fared Adib, Sprint vice president of product
development. “Sprint customers already have the option of two amazing
Android devices with Samsung Moment™ and HTC Hero™. It is a natural
fit for us to add Nexus One to the list of choices available for
Sprint customers who want the best value in wireless with the best in
Google’s online consumer channel was created to provide an efficient
way to connect online users with selected Android phones. Nexus One
will not be available in any Sprint retail channels. It will be
available directly from Google at google.com/phone. The online
experience of Google’s web store is designed with a focus on
simplicity allowing consumers to match a phone with the service plan
that best meets their needs.
“While a pricing plan has not yet been determined for Nexus One, we
are confident that it will be consistent with Sprint’s commitment to
deliver more value than our competitors and keep pricing simple,” Adib
said. “Right now, our Sprint Everything Data 450 plan with Any Mobile,
Anytime(SM) gives customers unlimited calling with any mobile phone in
America, unlimited text and unlimited Web for just $69.99 per month –
the same price AT&T and Verizon charge for just unlimited talk. Our
Everything Data plans include unlimited GPS Navigation at no extra
charge and annual phone upgrades with Sprint Premier.”
Nexus One runs on Android 2.1, a version of the platform’s Eclair
software, which offers advanced applications and features including:
* Google Maps Navigation: offering turn-by-turn driving directions
with voice output.
* Email: multiple Gmail accounts; universal inbox and Exchange support.
* Phone book: aggregate contacts from multiple sources, including Facebook®.
* Quick Contacts: easily switch between communication and social
* Android Market: access to more than 30,000 applications.
Hardware features of Nexus One include:
* Display: 3.7″ AMOLED 480×800 WVGA display
* Thinness: 11.5mm; Weight: 130g
* Processor/Speed: Qualcomm Snapdragon™ 3G QSD8250 chipset,
delivering speeds up to 1GHz
* Camera: 5 megapixel auto focus with flash and geo tagging
* Onboard memory: 512MB Flash, 512MB RAM
* Expandable memory: 4GB removable SD Card (expandable to 32GB)
* Noise Suppression: Dynamic noise suppression from Audience, Inc.
* Ports: 3.5mm stereo headphone jack with four contacts for inline
voice and remote control
* Battery: Removable 1400 mAh
* Personalized laser engraving: Up to 50 characters on the back of the phone
* Trackball: Tri-color notification LED, alerts when new emails,
chats, text messages arrive
In addition, Nexus One offers new functionality and software
* Enter text without typing.
* Use a voice-enabled keyboard for all text fields: speak a text
message, instant message, tweet, Facebook update, or complete an
* Tell your phone what you want it to do.
* Search Google, call contacts, or get driving directions by just
speaking into your phone.
* Take personalization to the next level.
* Dynamic, interactive, live wallpapers react to the touch of a finger.
* More widgets and five home screen panels allow for further
* Capture camera-quality pictures and video with your device.
* 5 megapixel camera includes LED flash, auto focus, zoom, white
balance and color effects.
* View pictures and Picasa Web Albums in the new 3D Gallery.
* Record Hi-Res MPEG4 video, and then upload to YouTube with one click.
* Read your voicemail messages.
* Get transcribed voicemail with Google Voice integration, without
changing your number.
For more information on Nexus One, please visit www.Google.com/phone.
Follow Sprint on Twitter @sprint to keep up with news on Nexus One for
Sprint’s 3G Mobile Broadband Network.
About Sprint Nextel
Sprint Nextel offers a comprehensive range of wireless and wireline
communications services bringing the freedom of mobility to consumers,
businesses and government users. Sprint Nextel is widely recognized
for developing, engineering and deploying innovative technologies,
including two wireless networks serving more than 48 million customers
at the end of the fourth quarter of 2009 and the first and only 4G
service from a national carrier in the United States; industry-leading
mobile data services; instant national and international push-to-talk
capabilities; and a global Tier 1 Internet backbone. The company’s
customer-focused strategy has led to improved first call resolution
and customer care satisfaction scores. For more information, visit